The Instrument Cluster is also known as the Instrument Panel or Multi-function Display.
How to Access
Watch this video or see Access - MFD Hidden Menu Steps below.
Access - MFD Hidden Menu
- Get into car and turn Ignition Lock to Position 1 (ACCESSORIES) but DO NOT start the engine.
- Set the Instrument Cluster Multi-Function Display (MFD) to show mileage (total vehicle mileage and trip miles).
- Push the R (reset) button on the Instrument Cluster three times within 2 seconds.
- The MFD will display something like "UB:12.3V".
- Use the Steering Wheel ‘UP’ or ‘DOWN’ buttons for other Hidden displays. The MFD Hidden Menu will scroll through;
- UB (Battery Voltage)
- DC W220MJ03 (Including ‘OIL LEVEL’ and Motor Type.)
- ESP DYNAMOMETER TEST
- WIA TYP: (Including the VIN)
- CONFIRMATION (Service Confirmation)
Using the MFD Hidden Menu for analysing the battery voltage (UB)
- Access the MFD Hidden Menu as above.
- When first opened the MFD will display something like "UB:12.3V". In this example the 12.3V is the battery voltage with the car at rest with engine off and alternator not charging. The voltage should be between 11.8V and 12.5V and will typically be 12.3V with a new battery and the car at rest for about 24 hours or more.
- Start the engine.
- The MFD Hidden Menu will now display something like "UB:13.8V". In this example the 13.8V is the battery voltage with the engine on and the alternator charging. The voltage should be between 14.0V and 14.2V. and will typically be 14.0V with a new battery and after the engine running has been running for several minutes.)
- Note the battery voltage displayed is very dependent on factors such as;
- How long the engine has been running and hence the alternator has been charging.
- The state of the battery charge.
- The age of the battery.
- What electrical load there is on the battery. For example having the headlights on and or the Air Conditioner on may reduce the actual battery voltage.
- The performance of the alternator. A slipping Serpentine belt or a faulty alternator with say failed diodes or faulty voltage regulator circuit will affect the displayed battery voltage.
With navigation installed press COMAND Service, System, Clock, Set Hours etc.
- The fluorescent tubes used to generate illumination and back-lighting on the gauges eventually flicker and die.
- Missing pixels due to ribbon connector failure.
Display Defective Warning
Remove and Replace Cluster
The following video shows how to
remove the cluster, causes of a bad cluster, where to send it for repair service, and how to reinstall it. Repair service as of August of 2019 is cheap enough still not to bother taking it apart yourself in order to first diagnose which of the 3 mosfet transistors or the high voltage transformer is the culprit, ordering the replacement part, waiting, replacing and hoping it all works. As of August, 2019, the repair service is still cheap enough (right around #200). Put the following in your browser search or URL line to find a Repair Service Vendor: W220-W215 Instrument Cluster Repair Service.
The W220 S-Class, has an interesting lighting architecture, incorporating LEDs and fluorescent tubes to generate illumination and back-lighting on the gauges. The tubes eventually flicker and die, causing this malfunction to be a recall notice with Mercedes. Recognized for up to 10 years from MY, for registered owners, Mercedes will honor the recall, with enough coaxing. For everyone else, repair is the only option. Chinese made substitute transformers and FETs may do the trick, they may not. With this set of instruments, repair was not an option, so an experimental LED substitution was attempted, and turned out successful. An LED driver circuit replaced the 4000V transformer, retained the dimming ability, reduced current draw, and provided ample lighting. White LEDs were grafted in place of the fluorescent tubes, and blue LEDs behind the LCD displays.
Missing Pixel Repair
Very detailed article on how to fix W208 2002 CLK430 instrument cluster which has missing pixels. Should also apply to other MBs including W220.
Removing Instrument Cluster
Instrument cluster repair tool kit is required to remove W220 instrument cluster.
Dissecting Instrument Cluster
Swapping Instrument Cluster
Pre-facelift vehicles have no redundant mileage storage, the only place mileage is stored is the instrument cluster.